How to start a salon or beauty parlor business in India
A beauty salon is a profitable business. Many clients, whether male or female, use beauty services. It is a booming business and attracts customers from most age groups. From teenage girls to women of all sections, beauty salons and salons are a success and are widely used. They are integral in the sense that they comprise too many factors that complement and help in beauty or natural treatment.
Taking into account the great opportunity offered by the Indian beauty and hair industry for current and future beauty salon companies, you should not waste more time and immerse yourself, quite quickly, in this lucrative segment of the industry.
Follow this step-by-step guide that will solve all your queries on how to start:
- Decide the concept of your business
- Get investments to finance your salon business
- Evaluate the installation costs involved
- Decide the location of salon /Parlor
- Get the workforce for your salon business
- Design a stellar menu for your salon
- Connect with vendors and suppliers for your salon
- Install the right technology in your salon
Now, once you have acquired knowledge about the steps that are important to start a salon business in India, let’s go deeper and know exactly what needs to be done to help you open a successful salon business in India:
1. Decide the concept of your salon
The first thing to consider when starting a salon business is deciding the idea. You must consider many things before deciding on a concept,
- the main one is the amount of capital you have to invest.
- The average price per customer gives you a fair idea about the average amount of money a customer would spend in your salon.
- consider the theme and menu services of your salon. The interiors must be synchronized with the theme of salon.
2. Obtain investments to finance your salon business
The majority of aspiring salon dreams never see the light due to lack of funds and this is one of the most important things to consider when thinking about opening a salon business. that you can raise money for the lounge of your dreams:
- Self funding -.
- VC / Angel financing
3. Evaluate all costs involved
Salon costs are an important part of a salon’s operation and should be carefully evaluated and planned. The significant costs involved in starting a salon business are detailed below:
- Service costs: the cost of the service is the cost of all the raw materials used to perform a service. Ideally, the cost of the product should be around 20-30% of the price of your menu.
- General expenses: general expenses are other expenses that are not related to the product or labor. These include:
- Rent: the rent covers an important part of your salon costs and is deeply affected by the location of the room. However, the rent should never exceed 10% of your total income.
- Interiors: you can decide the interiors according to the concept and theme of your room and your budget.
- Essential equipment for salons: the purchase of equipment of adequate quality may seem very expensive, but they always recover their long-term costs.
- License: Licenses are an essential part of your salon and cannot be ignored. Depending on your region or state, the license fee varies.
- POS: the new era, modern POS technology can soften the operations of your salon like never before. The price of the point of sale depends on its characteristics and functionalities, which must be chosen taking into account the needs of your salon.
- Marketing: Ideally, you should spend 5% of your income on the marketing of your salon. There must be a perfect balance between offline and online marketing. Word of mouth or referral marketing, along with digital marketing, can work wonders in your salon.
4. Decide the location of your salon
Other factors to consider when deciding the location of the salon business in India are:
- Visibility and accessibility: the room must be located in a place that is easily visible and accessible. The upper floor locations are generally not considered adequate, since their visibility is low, and customers also find it difficult to locate them. A room just in front of the road and on the ground, the floor has higher footprints.
- NOC: before opening your salon, you would also need a Certificate of No Objection (NOC) from at least three of your neighbors.
5. Get manpower for your salon business
Hiring the right talent and retaining them is one of the biggest challenges in running a salon business in India.
There are three types of personnel required in a salon:
- Cleaning staff: your cleaning staff, consisting of cleaning staff, auxiliary staff, etc. They will mostly be unskilled labor.
- Service personnel: the stylist, beautician, makeup artist, therapist, etc.
- Administrative staff: the manager of your salon, the receptionist, the plant manager, the store manager, etc. They comprise administrative staff, and must be educated and have experience.
6. Design a stellar menu
The next step to start a salon is to design a menu. An intelligent design menu can have a significant impact on the service costs of your salon.
- The menu must include services that can be provided according to the needs and convenience of its customers. It is advisable to offer services that use similar products, which will help you reduce the total cost of product consumption and the extent of waste generation.
- The menu should also be designed in a way that attracts customers to spend more.
7. Organize suppliers and vendors for your salon
A healthy relationship with your provider and seller is essential for the proper functioning of your salon.
- You must have at least two or three providers in each category. This would help to compare prices and will also serve as a backup in case a problem arises.
- You should always have a stock of four to five days in your inventory in case of emergency situations.
- Items should always be delivered in the morning and checked every day. The verification of the amount must be done at the close of your salon.
- It is always preferable to have long-term contracts with the supplier
8. Install the right technology in your salon
The modern technology of the new era, the robust point of sale has presented a series of integrated features that have greatly simplified salon operations. Niche room technology solutions are available for different types of rooms.